Sunday, April 6, 2008

Fitted Shirt Progress

Making a fitted shirt is quite nerve wracking for me. There are so many things that could not fit right. I must just dive right in. Luckily I could care less about the fabric I am starting with. If it fits right it might make a cute summer shirt. If not, oh well. As a reminder, I am making this pattern.

In this "muslin" fabric that I have had in my stash for quite a while. I am not sure if it came from JoAnn's clearance or Wal-mart. That should give you a good idea of the quality of the cotton.

Now for the alterations so far. In this first picture you can see that I shortened the front above the waist but below the dart. You can also see where I then lengthened it again below the waist. I am short waisted but need the length below my waist so the shirt is not too short so I have to take some pattern out and add it back in. Kind of a hassle.

This next pictures shows what I did to fix the dart placement. I have marked my bust point with the x. The original dart pointed too much below the bust point so I had to move it. Since I also needed to take out some more length above the waist I just took some out above the bust dart. Now the dart points directly at my bust point. I will find out if this worked when I put it together. Unfortunately, I forgot to move the waist dart over a little. It points into the circle I drew around my bust point but not directly at the point. I am not going to worry about this for the muslin but I will probably move it over for the nice fabric.

For this "muslin" shirt I am doing view d (the short sleeve one with ties). I am a little nervous since Becky said she had a bit of trouble with the ties. I am going to attempt this because I think this fabric is better suited for summer and short sleeves. The other shirts I make will be with the longer sleeves.

Now I am off to finish cutting it out.

Thanks for stopping by again. Have a terrific day!

Until next time...


  1. cute fabric - hope your muslin works out so you can wear it once or twice. Nothing like a wearable muslin to justify the time spent on it!

  2. Tamara,

    I can relate to the short waist and then adding length in below the waist. I do that too on many of my garments, just a little differently because of my full bust. Usually I can get by with just doing a dart tuck in the back above the waist to get rid of that excess, then add below all around. Don't have to bother with the front because my boobs will take up the excess. Pre kids, though, I had to do it in the front too.

  3. It was more the cutout curve than the ties--I was sewing it from the outside so I could get even spacing from the edge, and had trouble catching the bias tape into the seam. The only thing with the ties was that I could just not figure out how they were supposed to line up! So I winged it.

    (I would suggest making the ties longer, though-- mine weren't long enough to actually make bows. I just have to do knots and leave the edges hanging long.

  4. Thank you for your nice comment on my blog! You are brave, tackling a fitted shirt! I am so afraid of tailored clothing and zippers!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I will try to reply back to you if at all possible. Have a great day!