Friday, February 15, 2008

Fabulous Foot Friday! Piping Foot and Tutorial

On to a new style of presser foot today. Introducing.....


The PIPING Foot!!

This is another one of my favorite feet. I do not think that I could live with out it. It is fantastic for making your own piping or attaching ready made piping. It looks like any other foot from the top. It is the underside that makes it magic. As you can see from the picture there is a large groove that the piping fits into perfectly. This groove guides the corded side and stitches exactly alongside without any difficulty. I thought I would show you exactly how it works.


Make your Own Piping Tutorial:

Step one:

Cut out strips. You will need the width of your seam allowance times 2 plus 1/4 inch (this does depend on the width of your cording). If you will be placing the piping on a curved seam such as collars, waist, or wrist it is very important that the strips are cut on the bias. The stretch of the bias is necessary to lay flat on curved area. If you need longer length just sew two or more strips together using a small seam allowance (1/4 inch or so).


Step Two:

Fold strip around cording wrong sides together so that the cut edges meet together. If you need to iron a fold before inserting in order to know exactly where to place cord you may do that. Cording needs to be snuggly placed in the fold. You want your piping to be as tight as possible.


Step Three:

Place the cord under the presser foot so that the cord is right in the groove. Adjust your needle position so that you stitching line will be right next to but not through the cord. Stitch the entire length of piping.


Step Four:

Remove from machine and you have perfect piping ready to apply to any project.





Thank you so much for stopping by.

Have a great day!!

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. I love your tutorials! They are a great reminder to try new feet. It reminds me of when I used sewing machines with cams. I just couldn't be bothered with changing them, probably because it actually took time and I wanted to get things done quickly. Now that machines are computerized, virtually every option gets used on my machine :) ! Except those darn feet LOL. So many things are easy to do with a regular or zipper foot, but a special foot just makes it even easier.

    Keep those tutorials coming! They're better than articles because it one foot/week. Easier to digest and think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat,
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your kind words about the scrapbook pages! I did have a lot of fun making them, though it helped that I had two good friends and a bunch of movies for company while making them!

    Haven't run across your blog before now, but I'm already intrigued by these sewing machine foot tutorials-- I have a whole box of feet for my machine and I have no idea what half of them are for, honestly! So I generally only use the regular one, the zipper foot and the buttonhole foot. I'll definitely have to read back on this--it would be great to know what to do with the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking for a piping foot for my little Janome 3125. Do feet use a universal attachment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure. I use the feet that are made for my Viking machine. Nancy's Notions sells quite a few different accessory feet. They might be able to tell you what foot would fit your machine. I have called before about feet and they have been very helpful. Piping feet are so nice to have. I hope you are able to find one that works.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I will try to reply back to you if at all possible. Have a great day!