What a fun sewing weekend I had. My kids were gone camping with their grandparents and I spent Saturday finishing up my Burda blouse and made this one up Sunday afternoon. It has been a long time since I finished so many garments in such a short time. I should have been working on my daughters school clothes but I wanted to make one more thing for me.
Boy, this is a great shirt to just whip up in an afternoon. It was so easy. I think that I might have made it a little small. It could be because my fabric is too stable (it passed the stretch test but had to be pulled). I will still wear it but next time I will make a bigger size.
My full review:
Pattern Description: Empire crossover top with banded neckline and modesty panel. View A has a double layer lower bodice with gathered top layer. View B (one I made) has a flat single-layer bodice. Choice of cap, short, 3/4 or long sleeve. Sleeveless version has a casing at shoulder seam for adjustable casing.
Pattern Sizing: child 2-13 (F-Q) women's 4-22 (R-FF) I made size V tapering to Y at the hip. This is the same size that I made last time I made a Jalie pattern. I feel like it was a bit too small. I can wear it but I think a bit bigger would have been better. My measurements fit size V but I think I would like a bit more room. It could be that I needed to use a stretchier knit. The fabric I chose stretched the amount needed but I did have to pull it a bit.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. Mine looked just like the picture.
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were pretty easy. I did have to look at the pictures to get a better idea of what the instructions were saying.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked how easy it was to put together. I made this shirt (from tracing to completion) in just a few hours. I like how the modesty panel extends across the whole front and isn't just a small v of fabric.
Fabric Used: Polyester knit from Joann's with quite a bit of recovery. It stretched the required amount but I had to pull it a little.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't change the design at all. I did try to make the sleeves larger. I tried starting at the V size and tapering out to the y and then back in. this didn't work that well. I think that I would need to try something else next time.
I didn't attach the neckline as they did. I bound it with my coverstitch machine and binder attachment. I also did this on the modesty panel instead of turning elastic. I think that this made the seam in the armscye a bit bulkier. The bulk seems to cause a little pulling at the arm seam. I think I would try the elastic next time.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will definitely try this again. My daughter wants me to make her one and I think I have enough fabric left.
Conclusion: This is a great staple. Once I get the fitting quirks worked out it might become a TNT pattern.
BTW, I LOVE my binder attachment. Belinda and Debbie Cook have shared so many garments with awesome binded edges. They use binder attachments and have such marvelous, professional results. I have been wanting a binder for quite some time but wasn't sewing enough knits to warrant spending the money. I decided to bite the bullet and get one because I knew that I was going to be making quite a few knit shirts for my children for school clothes. This was one of the best things I have purchased for sewing. It is so easy to use! I thought there would be a learning curve but for me it was fairly easy to use right away. One thing I have to figure out is how to stretch the binding a bit to get the neckline to hug the neck. I will just have to play around until I get it right.
Here are some links to Debbie Cook's coverstitch tutorials and also Belindas coverstitch tutorials. Their information is fantastic!
Thank you so much for stoppin' by. Have a great day!