Sunday, August 9, 2009

Burda 8-2008-103 Blouse Finally Finished!


This project, while enjoyable took a bit of time. Not something I could just whip out in a day. I really like the fabric I used. It is something totally different than I have sewn with before. I have always steered clear of slippery fabric. Sewing with polyester silky was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Cutting it out had its challenges. I started cutting the pieces out with two layers. My front peplum pieces came out very different so I changed to cutting out single layer. This worked much better.

My full review:

Pattern Description: This blouse sports a peplum and short, puffed sleeves as well as true-to-style self-fabric button loops and pretty little buttons.

Pattern Sizing: 34-42 I made size 42.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? My garment looked very much like the picture.

Were the instructions easy to follow? They were pretty easy to follow. This shirt doesn't really have any complicated design features. Even though the instructions are typical of Burda (not much extra info) they are clear enough if you have made shirts before.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I liked how the neckline was finished. The binding finishes off nice and cleanly with the facings. I also really like the button underflap application. I have made other patterns with button loops that didn't include this. This just shows how much attention to detail there is in Burda patterns.

Fabric Used: Silky Polyester from Fabric Depot in Portland, OR. This was my first time to use this type of fabric. I tested different seaming methods to minimize puckering. Sandra Betzina, in More Fabric Savvy, suggested french seams for this type of fabric. This didn't work very well for me. I had very good luck with serging.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I added 1/2" to the length so the shirt was a little longer. Other than this very minor adjustment I made the pattern as drafted and written.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I probably wouldn't sew this again because it is distinct. I would definitely recommend this to others. It was easy and fun to sew.

Conclusion: This was a great shirt to make. It has great style without being too complicated to construct. A very rewarding project.

Thank you so much for stopping by! Have a great day.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I will try to reply back to you if at all possible. Have a great day!