Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Very Prairie Dress

My daughter chose Laura Ingalls Wilder for a report and project at school. The third grade did a wax museum. Each child chose a person from our American history. They the had to write a report, create a background, come up with a costume and props. I encouraged my daughter to choose Laura Ingalls Wilder because I wanted to make the dress. Yes, I asked her teacher and she said it was okay for me to make the dress.

My first challenge was to find the right fabric. It needed to be something that looked very simple and old fashioned. It needed to be inexpensive (I was going to need about 5 yards). I found some fabric at JoAnn's a few weeks ago on sale. I spent about $20 for the fabric which wasn't too bad. I washed it up and of course it was a wrinkled mess! You get what you pay for. Actually, wrinkly cotton wasn't too bad for this project. I think that it was more authentic this way.

I used McCalls 9424
The pattern was pretty easy and straightforward. I didn't have any difficulties. I didn't change anything either. I did omit most of the interfacing. I didn't put it on the collar or the back facing. Both turned out just fine. I did interface the brim of course and also the front facing for a bit more crispness. I think it turned out pretty well. My daughter was certainly pleased with it. She wore it all Friday hence all the wrinkles. :)

3 comments:

  1. I just love the Laura Ingalls look! You're daughter is so cute in her dress. I've made this pattern a number of times, most recently this past December. Pics here: http://sewchic.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-that-and-other.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the outfit looks so authentic :-). The Laura Ingalls Wilder books were my favourite series when I was a little girl. I'd so love to sew more vintage clothing, one day!! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your daughter's dress, she looks as if she came right off the set of "Little House"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I will try to reply back to you if at all possible. Have a great day!