Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ottobre Pekka T-Shirts

I needed another quick t-shirt for my son during their Spirit Week at school for Space Day. I know, that was a long time ago. I am finally getting around to posting about these shirts.

I found some perfect space fabric at JoAnn's. At first it was going to be just another plain t-shirt but then I found the red rib knit at home and decided to make a double sleeve t-shirt. Ottobre had the perfect shirt. I used the Ottobre Pekka T-shirt pattern (04-2008-25). It was perfect.

I made the space shirt for both of my sons. My younger son just had to have something made for him too. Since both boys are the same size around I made them a 122. This length was perfect for my older son but I had to shorten the length for to a 110 for my younger son. Unfortunately, I forgot to shorten the arms also for my younger son so they are a bit long. I could still do it but probably won't. They are fine rolled up. Sorry, I don't have a picture of my younger son in this shirt but it looks exactly like this one. They both like these shirts and actually wear them!


I also had this striped fabric laying around that I thought I would use to make the same shirt since it also went with the red rib knit. I didn't like the result that much (I don't think my son actually likes it that much either. He hasn't worn it yet and I had to beg him to put it on for a picture). I decided to embroider the front to give a bit more interest. Whoops! Something happened while I was embroidering my older sons shirt and I ruined it. I only partially messed up my younger sons shirt. He can still wear it but it certainly isn't my favorite. A solid sleeve would have been much better.



Full Review:

Pattern Description: The long-sleeved two-in-one T-shirt combines solid colored and striped interlock knit. It has double layer sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: 92-128 I made a 122 for both sons in the width and shortened to 110 length for the younger son.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? They were very easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the easily the double layer sleeves went together. The whole shirt was very easy to put together.

Fabric Used: For the older son I used an inexpensive waffle knit. For the younger son I used an inexpensive maybe jersey knit. The contrast red in both shirts is rib knit.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I bound the short sleeve edges in the rib knit and I did not put the stripes on the short sleeves.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? DEFINITELY!!

Conclusion: This is a fantastic basic shirt. You can do so much with this style shirt. You can use this pattern over and over as a basic starting point and make many different looking shirts. I will get tons of use from this pattern. Oh, next time I would be more careful not to pull the binding too tight on the sleeves.

Thank you so much for stopping by. Have a great day!

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Your sons are SO cute! Oh...and the shirts are cute too ;) . I find boys so satisfying to sew for. Not very fussy and they like whatever I make, even if it's not one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I will try to reply back to you if at all possible. Have a great day!