Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Birthday Dresses

I decided to make matching dresses for my nieces for their birthdays and my daughter. I was inspired by a dress a Gymboree earlier this fall. The Gymboree dress was a simple peter pan collared dress with a belt in a polka dot fabric. I loved the simplicity of the design and that it really showed off the fabric. I thought of making the three matching dress in September but it actually took me until late October to make the committment. Only after finding the fabric did I decide to make the dresses.

For my 2 year old niece I used New Look 6842. I was immediately drawn to the plaid dress. This pattern had the cute peter pan collared dress I was looking for. This was actually difficult to find in this size. The complete review is here. If I copied the whole thing here this post would be way too long.
A close up of the bodice. This dress has banded sleeves.

For my 5 year old niece and daughter I used New Look 6309. Essentially it is the same dress except the the shape of the collar in the back and the ruffled sleeve. The review for this pattern is here.

This is my daughter and my 2 year old niece in their dresses.` My other niece doesn't live near us.
In my reviews I tell how I added the belt. I will put this explanation in my next post.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. The piping detail around the collar and belt is fabulous! I can't believe how quick you whip these things out!

    Im coming down on Saturday, hope to see you this week. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are SO cute!! *Almost* makes me wish I was sewing for little girls again ;) .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    These dresses turned out so sweetly - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dresses are adorable! Great job! :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed the link from PR to your blog...you made not one, but 3 dressses! The dresses are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I will try to reply back to you if at all possible. Have a great day!