Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Wood and Fabric Window Valance

     Over the last 4+ years I have missed writing this blog. It hasn't been something that I have had time for but this was still missed.  Time has been marching quickly.

In the last 4 years:
  • Our children have all grown into teenagers.
  • I taught sewing lessons to students of all ages.
  • We became a foster family and went back to bottles, diapers and naptimes.
  • We moved to a new house that needs a lot of fixing up.
  • We took a 6 week, 9,000 mile road trip in a small RV from Florida, up the East Coast, across the Midwest and home to Alaska.
  • I discovered new hobbies. 

     I discovered I like woodworking but I really enjoy coming up with the ideas and having my husband execute them.  I love making signs and crafts with my Silhouette machine. Mod Podge, chalk paint, and Pinterest have become my new best friends.  My love for cooking, baking and trying new recipes has been resurrected.  Phew!  So much to do so little time!

     As I am sure many of you can agree, I LOVE Pinterest and get so many ideas from there.  When I have an idea of something I want to do or make, Pinterest is my first stop. Sometimes I find exactly what I am looking for and sometimes not. When I wanted to make some valances for my very boring large windows, as usual, I went to Pinterest.  I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  I wanted rustic.  So I really liked the thought of wood. I also wanted some softness and color from fabric.  Most of the options I found had long curtains like these.

   Here is a great tutorial for making this wood valance from tinpig.com.

And obviously Shanty 2 Chic would have a great tutorial

But what I really wanted was short ones.  I wanted maximum view and light from the many picture windows that surround my living room and kitchen. So I used the above ideas as inspiration for my variation.





The result was just what I was hoping for!  I love a successful project!


Eventually I want to put black metal on the edges for a bit of an industrial/rustic look.  But I have my husband on to other projects. 


Oh, and when I was looking today for my inspiration pins I did find something similar to mine.  Although, they stapled the fabric to the valance.  How nice and easy!  I made a pocket in the valance and attached a rod to the back of the wood.  

This nice and easy tutorial is from Hunt and Host.

Have a wonderful day!
Until next time...

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I will try to reply back to you if at all possible. Have a great day!